Crisis Fuel Assistance

This program provides help to home owners or renters who pay for heat or who have heat included in their rent. You might also qualify for furnace repair or replacement! 

We can help you with a home heating emergency. If you’re eligible, we can help you with:

  • Purchasing the primary source of your heat (oil, natural or propane gas, wood, electric)
  • Avoiding disconnect of electric service
  • Repairing or replacing your furnace if you are a homeowner

More information can be found here.


Contact Numbers for Fuel Assistance:

Chittenden County: 1-802-863-6248 Option 2

Addison County: 1-802-388-2285

Franklin/Grand Isle Counties: 1-800-300-7392

After hours Crisis Fuel Assistance: 1-800-479-6151


Seasonal Fuel Assistance

The Seasonal Fuel Assistance Program helps low-income families pay a portion of their home heating bills. Assistance is for home owners or renters who meet eligibility requirements and who pay for heat or have heat included in the rent (heated renters). For all eligible households, a single benefit is paid between November and April. 

For more information on the program and how to apply, check out their website or call 1-800-479-6151.


Fuel Tank Replacement Program

The goal of this financial assistance program is to assist low income VT property owners in replacing tanks which otherwise might leak and cause adverse impact to the environment.

Specifics about the program can be found here:

How to Apply:

Fill out the application found here.

In addition to the application form, applicants must provide:

  • proof of home ownership (a property tax bill or deed), and
  • full household income. Income should be demonstrated via a Federal Income tax filing (1040, EZ, or EZA) where possible, SSI statements or other forms of proof are acceptable when Federal Income tax forms are not filed. Please do not submit State Tax returns or W2s as proof of income.

Submit completed application packages by mail or email.

Addresses and further details on submitting applications can be found here.


Help For Vermont 2-1-1

Vermont 2-1-1 is the number to dial to find out about hundreds of important community resources, like emergency food and shelter, disability services, counseling, senior services, health care, child care, drug and alcohol programs, legal assistance, transportation agencies, educational and volunteer opportunities, and much more. It’s a free service. It’s confidential. It’s 24/7.

The Vermont 2-1-1 database contains detailed descriptions of programs and services available to Vermonters that are provided by local community groups, social service and health-related agencies, government organizations, and others. Resource Specialists gather information by regularly attending community meetings throughout the state and contacting agencies directly to complete a formal update process at least annually.

Find resources that Vermont 2-1-1 offers here, or reach Vermont 2-1-1 by phone the following ways:

  1. Simply dial 2-1-1 – a local call from anywhere in Vermont

  2. 1-866-652-4636 – toll free in Vermont

  3. (802) 652-4636 – from outside of Vermont

  4. Text your zip code to 898211


Age Well

Committed to helping individuals age well, this organization reduces barriers by providing access to healthy meals, in-home care and community resources, free of charge. Delivered by staff members and over 1,000 volunteers, their sought-after services are designed to meet the diverse needs of clients, their families and caregivers. 

Learn more about Age Well's services here, or contact them at (802) 865-0360.


Champlain Housing Trust (Chittenden, Franklin and Grand Isle Counties):

Need a low cost loan to fix or weatherize your home? If you do not qualify for Champlain Valley Weatherization Services, consider the Champlain Housing Trust’s Housing Loan Fund. These loans allow for rehabilitation and construction of essential structural and/or mechanical systems necessary for you and your family’s health and safety (roof replacement, electrical updates, plumbing or septic repairs, and more). Champlain Housing Trust provides borrowers with construction management services including: a list of approved contractors to choose from; the opportunity to have your own contractor approved; progress inspections prior to payment for work completed.

Please visit their website for more information:




Champlain Valley Weatherization
136 Jimmo Drive, Suite 3
Colchester, VT  05446

Back to Top

CVOEO addresses fundamental issues of economic, social, environmental, and racial justice and works with people to achieve economic independence.


Serving more than 10,000 households annually,
impacting the lives of over 23,000 individuals