Growing Money

In these times of challenge, we are here with you.

For many of us, life is no longer normal. What we did that was working (or kind of working) for us in February may not be working for us now. We are worried about losing jobs, losing daycare and school, having a hard time getting food. These are hard times. We will all need to do things differently than we have done them before. We will be creative, resourceful, and brave. Our Growing Money team will be sharing information, ideas, and resources here on our website. We are also still holding some of our classes on budgeting and credit by webinar and meeting with people 1:1 by phone rather than in person. Please click “Classes/Workshops” to the left to learn more.



Do you need to file for unemployment? Call to file your claim:

Full-Service Filing of Claims: 1-877-214-3330.
If the phone number above is busy and this is the first time you are calling to file a claim, then call the Supplemental Initial Claim Intake: 1-888-807-7072.
Electronic Form for Initial Intake:
Department of Labor:


You Do Not Have to File Taxes until July 15, 2020, but You CAN Still File and Get Your Return NOW

Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, CVOEO has ended its free in-person tax help program. We recommend using for simple returns. If you had an appointment scheduled at CVOEO to have your taxes done, and you have questions about using, you can call Mike McClintock, CVOEO's tax assistance coordinator at (802) 863-6248 ext 731. He will walk you through the process over the phone.


Have Student Loans?

Federal student loan payments are not required until September 2020, and interest will not be added to loans during this time. What does this mean for you? Should you keep making payments? Do you have federal or private loans? This article from Forbes may help:


Need Help with Child Care While You Work?

If you are an "essential worker," you may be able to get help in finding childcare during the Covid-19 outbreak. Some daycare centers have transitioned to providing care for essential workers. Check here to see if you job is considered "essential" by the State at this time: If your work is on that list, then fill out this form to get help from the State's Department of Public Safety's Vermont Emergency Management team in finding childcare:


Will You Get a Check from the Federal Government?

The federal government has been discussing sending checks to each American taxpayer to help during these hard financial times. The details of how and when this will happen have not been sorted out yet. The IRS has a special website about Covid-19 issues. They will update the website when a plan is in place about how the "stimulus checks" will be sent out to each of us. Check the website for updates here:


Need Funds Now?

Some banks and credit unions are looking for creative ways to help. Some examples: North Country Federal Credit Union has established a 0% loan program for its current customers. New England Federal Credit Union is offering a loan for those who lose employment income. Opportunities Credit Union has a program to help customers skip a payment on their consumer loans. Check in with your bank or credit union.



3Squares = money for food from the State. You get an EBT card that looks and works like a debit card, and can be used just for food. Sometimes people worry: “If I use 3Squares, then someone else won’t be able to get it.” That’s not true! Everyone who applies for 3Squares and meets the requirements receives it.

Contact your child's school. Many schools are finding ways to get breakfast and lunch to children who qualify for free and reduced lunch. If you didn't qualify for free and reduced lunch before but do now, contact the school to reapply.

Go to your local food shelf. To find a food shelf near you, call 1-800-585-2265 or visit 


Free Access to Phone or Internet:

Lifeline Program (also known as the “Obama phone”):


Help from Green Mountain Power and Vermont Gas:

You may qualify for paying less on your GMP or VT Gas bill. The link brings you to application forms. There is one form for GMP and a different form for VT Gas. They have different eligibility requirements – so you might qualify for one or for both. If you need help with the forms, call Economic Services Division at 1-800-775-0516. If you are 60 years old or older, you can also call Vermont's Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119.

If you are behind on a gas or electric bill, you may be able to set up a repayment plan to stretch your payments back over time. This will help prevent disconnects.


Heating for Your Apartment, Condo, or House or Help with Electric or Gas Disconnect:

CVOEO’s Crisis Fuel Assistance Program’s contact info:

Chittenden County: 802-863-6248 option 2

Addison County: 802-388-2285

Franklin County: 1-800-300-7392

After hours crisis fuel assistance: 1-800-479-6151


Reach Up

Do you have kids at home and none of the adults at home are working? Apply for Reach Up. This provides some money each month towards essential needs:


Need to Apply for Benefits by Phone?

Call the Benefits Service Center to apply for Reach Up, 3Squares, help with Green Mountain Power and Vermont Gas, and General Assistance, at 1-800-479-6151. For help in a language other than English, call the Benefits Service Center at 1-855-247-3092.

Call the Unemployment Claims Center to apply for Unemployment: 1-888-807-7072 to file your claim. Dial 1-877-214-3330 if you have questions after filing.


More Ideas from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

This includes information on student loans and other loans, dealing with debt collectors, unemployment, scams, and more:



”Your valuable tips, shared personal experiences and tough-love kind of questions inspired me and my husband to shape up, and since taking your course, we’ve paid off over $8,000 in credit card debt, closed two credit cards out (we have several more that we’ve had a great credit history with for years), and put away more into savings than we’ve ever had.”

Do you and your household struggle with finances?

You don’t have to deal with this challenge by yourself. Growing Money services will help you gain skills needed for day-to-day financial management. We will also help you use those skills to achieve your goals. Our purpose is to support you in becoming financially stable and building your household assets.

We will work with you to:

  • Define financial goals so you know exactly what YOUR priorities are
  • Figure out where, if possible, to cut household costs
  • Use a spending plan to make the most of the income you have
  • Determine the best approach to paying down debt
  • Access the safest and most effective products for increasing your credit score
  • Set up and successfully save into a security fund

And much more!

Contact us:

802-860-1417 x 114

Back to Top

CVOEO addresses fundamental issues of economic, social, and racial justice and works with people to achieve economic independence.


Serving more than 10,000 households annually,
impacting the lives of over 23,000 individuals