Vermont Tenants, Inc.
LEAD SAFETY TIPS
Learn the facts. Call the Vermont Department of Health at 1-800-439-8550 or the Vermont Lead Safety Project at (802) 453-5617for answers to lead questions.
- All children should be tested for lead at ages one and two.
- Have your landlord perform state required lead clean-up "Essential Maintenance Practices."
- Vacuum with a HEPA vacuum cleaner--a cleaner which is specially designed to remove lead dust.
- Wash window sills, floors and other horizontal surfaces thoroughly on a weekly basis with a good general household cleaner.
- Keep children away from peeling paint. Physically block areas with furniture if necessary.
- Take your shoes off at the door to avoid tracking in lead dust from outside dirt.
- Feed children frequent meals and snacks that are high in calcium and iron.
- Find out if your occupation or hobby is creating lead hazards for your children.
Click here to go to -Vermont Statutes (through LEXIS®) Look for: Title 18 HEALTH, Part 2, Chapter 38 LEAD POISONING
Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity